GSF are very aggressive feeders and what I have found is even a 3-4" GSF can take a pellet because of its mouth size where it takes a larger BG for the same size pellet. One of the things I noticed in my old pond when I realized I had a large population of smaller GSF was the way the hit pellets on the surface.

But you may find that later your BG can become just as aggressive. I think it has to do with competition. If your BG are schooling together and their numbers are relatively low they may not feel the need to compete for the available feed. At some point in time that could change and BG can definitely become very aggressive feeders when they choose to be.

Right now I have an abundance of BG in my main pond and I feed the perimeter of the pond daily. They tear into the feed like piranhas. They literally make the water boil in certain areas of the pond. But I think it is because there more fish than the amount of feed I'm feeding will satisfy. So they get in there and really compete.

I probably should be feeding more to keep them growing well but they are about to break the bank the way it is. I'm feeding about 12# per day for 4 acres of water. That is almost a 50# bag every 4 days. No way I can justify spending that much money on feed except that I enjoy doing it. crazy

You may see a change in your BG behavior some day.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine