An update to this sediment pond thread.

Do to the lay of this land and this sediment pond being nearly on top of the hill, the elevation between it and my main pond is minimal. I always knew that a large rain event would cause flow large enough that fish would likely be able to swim up from the main pond into this sediment pond. Till that happened, I was using this sediment pond as a forage and grow out pond to raise RES and some CNBG for the main pond.

Well this rain event: recent large rain event did the trick. And likely there have been other rain events big enough to do so also.

The reason I know? Caught two 12" long CC out of this pond while trying to catch some RES. So not only do I know these CC came from my main pond, it also tells me I not only have CC reproduction in the main pond from this year (been catching some 5" CC in it), but these would have been from last years spawn so I have had CC reproduction in the main pond last year also. Interesting. That is ok, we eat and give away lots of CC so as long as the numbers don't get excessive I don't have a problem with it.

Have toyed with the idea of raising the level of the main pond by another 4" by putting a 22 or 45 degree elbow on the overflow pipe. Have not done it because it would make the water levels within a few inches of the sediment pond making it easier for fish to travel both ways during a rain. Now that I know fish have already migrated I may go ahead and do it. If CC got there LMB are either already there or will be sometime soon.

No biggie. Knew it would happen sooner or later. Still have my forage pond with RES that as far as I know is not yet contaminated.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine