Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
SMB can reproduce even in absence of rock/gravel for beds - I have beds fanned on clay in my main pond every year. Myself and several others have documented SMB beds on clay on the forum in the past.

TJ, in your experience, what is the reproduction success of the SMB that bedded on the clay substrate vs. the rocky substrate?

RAH, I have a client that stocked his ponds at a lighter than normal stocking rate, and those ponds don't seem to be doing as well as the ponds that were stocked at the rate that is recommended here for forage and predators. I don't know if it is the predators in there not allowing the forage to grow large enough to reproduce in sufficient numbers or what the problem is. The predator fish just don't seem to have the growth rate (even though they were stocked light too) that I typically see in other ponds.

I have two ponds with SMB recruitment - my main pond and the SMB reproduction pond. In the main pond there are a few areas of limestone cobble and SMB spawn there annually, but I also see 1-2 beds on fanned clay. The YOY stick relatively close to the Male guarding the bed, so I can determine if eggs made it or not, and do witness larval schools on/near the clay beds.

In the repro pond I never had a SMB pair try to bed on clay, only used my designed rock beds - which suggests they prefer rock to clay.

What I suspect is that SMB prefer rock substrate, but are willing to utilize clay if necessary. I strongly suspect hatching success is also improved on rock substrate due to oxygenation and reduced siltation, yet have evidence of successful hatching on clay as well.

Fisheries depending on SMB recruitment should create rocky areas minimally, or create beds based on design I created or similar to increase odds of SMB recruitment.

However, lack of rock does not mean one will never see SMB recruitment. The reason I raise this issue is to help educate those who would otherwise believe the lack of rock means zero SMB recruitment. If they are basing their fishery management strategy on this detail, important to understand SMB recruitment is possible, regardless of presence of rock. Might alter their game plan somewhat.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]