I too concur that TJ and a host of other fishery biologists, algae experts, stocking experts, water quality experts, and pond bosses in general can tell you everything you need to know if one takes the time to push away the pre-conceived notions and just listen. I too was confused with the state DNR advice being so different from advice here.

The state still has one mantra, stock channel cats, BG, HBG and hundreds of bass. That would have been terrible advice for most people on this forum.

Patience, patience! I'm in my third year of managing my puddle and the learning curve still is steep. I'm thrilled with the advice I got here. I was going to put predators in during the end of year 2 but in comparing notes with others on the forum, they had piles of forage, clouds of minnows and I did not see that yet. Fast forward to summer of the 3rd year and now I'm starting to see clouds of shiner minnows, my perch have had a tiny hatch the first year and a bigger hatch the 2nd year, my RES did not spawn till this year and now seeing tiny RES. Things are shaping up. None and I mean NONE of this would have happened if I took the advice of the state and put channel cats and 150 LMB in last year or even (horrors) the year before as they advised.