I would like to have more aeration pros weigh in on this topic. Where are they when you need them? I present an alternative opinion.

Too little aeration does reduce the amount of anoxia in the pond; be it a very small amount and results in some stressors. Fish do get some water quality stress (the 'badness') from the poor quality of upwelling water, depending on the volume of upwelling and degree or concentration of "bad" water. A low degree or volume of upwelling stress is in most cases easily tolerated by the fish which would be similar to being in "stuffy" air. You tend to move or search toward fresher air/water which is not far away when minimal aeration is occurring. Again it depends on degree or severity.

However if the 'top' water is also 'bad' for what ever reason then fish have nowhere to find acceptable water. Adding 'bad' water constantly to good surface water by under aerating increases the chances of fish kills, but too little aeration reduces the impact of a summer or the fall turnover whenever that occurs. The amount of anoxic reduction depends of strength of aeration and amount or volume of anoxia in the deep unmixed zone/depth.

Turnovers of various forms can be 'strong' or extensive enough to kill a few fish or all the fish. Thus under-aerating IMO will in the long term life of the pond result in fewer dead fish than no aeration at all. Fewest dead fish long term, due to poor water quality, occurs in ponds with the most top to bottom circulation. The less the pond is turned over, I think the more dead fish that will occur over the life time of the pond. It is a form of degree from none to "over aerating" with some aeration IMO being better than none even if some or minimal air does cause some periodic stress. However that stress will overall in the end be less than that of no aeration.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/20/16 10:36 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management