I have heard it said many times on this forum that aeration should turn the pond over at least once every 24 hours. What is the science behind that statement?

Have also heard that anything less than a 24 hour turnover rate can actually do more harm than good. Is that true? If so, how is this so? What negative effects are realized?

For instance what if it only turns over every 25 hours? Or 48 hours? Or 96 hours? It seems to me the slower turnover would only provide proportional less benefit in relation to the amount of anoxic water aereated, but I have gathered from previous comments that not only would anything less than 24 hours not be helpful, it would actually be harmful. I am missing the logic. What harm is done by partial aeration?

What happens under natural aeration via wind and wave action? Can there be times of partial aeration turnover that can be damaging? A too fast turnover caused by a cold rain in the summer causing turnover we know can cause fish kills. Can wind action after a prolonged still spell do the same?

How does wind action come into play when sizing aeration systems? Not at all? A wide open pond in windy areas gets same system requirements as pond in valley surrounded by trees with little to no wind action?

Maybe too many questions for one post?

Last edited by snrub; 08/15/16 09:28 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine