Originally Posted By: Turtlemtn
A large white oak fell into my 1/4 ac pond years ago and is still there. That was in January, so it didn't take a ton of leaves with it. I don't think it did any harm, but did do a lot of good by providing shelter. I've read a lot about concern because of stain, whether from suspended soil particles, tannin, flooded weeds and grass, or whatever, but I can't recall reading about any serious damage caused by it. The most common effect, if any, is that it cuts down on the amount of algae in the BOW.

I had a 5" dia. branch break off a White Oak Tree in late June and blow into a 1/20 ac pond. Within a few days the water turned black and started to smell. I quickly pulled out the branch and the attached leaves. Luckily the pond didn't experience a fish kill, but I think the only reason is that it was over aerated. I believe that if I had not seen it and pulled it out when I did, the whole pond would have died. The water was black like black ink. It took about a month to go back to the color it was in early June.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).