Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
About 20+ years ago I got mad at crows for eating the corn in my demand type deer feeder about 100 yards from the house. They were going through 50 to 75 pounds per week. I bought a varmint calling tape with the sound of young crows with an owl chirping. Then I put an owl decoy on a post at the house and a couple of crows decoys under it. It took about 5 minutes for the flock of pretty raucous crows to show up. They dive bombed the owl decoy. However only 2 lit in the tree above the decoys. I dispatched a couple of them. I tried it later in the year and the crows responded but would come no closer than 100 yards. I tried it yearly for about 10 years with the same results. Same flock of crows? I don't know but I figure the crows must communicate. I really ought to try another location on the property but haven't messed with it.

Funny story on the line of nuisance crows. A local city was having a huge problem with the crows they tried everything to rid the town of crows but couldn't. This old Dutch farmer said he would take care of them if he had some help to round them up and transport them. The town parks rep said Ok lets do this.

They made up a feed of corn soaked for a few days in whisky. The crows ate it up like nothing and in minutes they were drunk, then using fishing nets they caught all the drunk crows, and loaded them into a truck for transport. Took the corws for a long drive and they didn't come back in the numbers they had before. Probably so hammered couldn't find their way back before they found another feeding hole.

Cheers Don.

So THAT is how Old Crow Whiskey got started!

Last edited by anthropic; 07/24/16 02:55 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160