Hello All,
Last year I built a 1 1/2 acre pond that began leaking at the base of the dam as soon as it got about 3 ft. of water in it. The leak was a seepage along an area about 50 ft. wide and when it all came together to a ditch it looked like a water hose running on full.
Well I tried the sprinkle Bentonite thing...no good.
Then this summer I drained it. I rented a loader and sheepsfoot, dug out all the rock my pond builder left in the bottom and got a good cover ( at least 2 ft.) of clay on any remaining rock. Then I put on 23 tons of bentonite covered it with about 6 in. of clay and rolled it in. Got an 8 in rain last week and I have the same leak in the same place.
I tend to think that it's just coming right through the dam. I thought before that it was coming through the rock and under the dam but but now I'm not sure. The dam face was the one area I did not cover with Bentonite and pack it in.
This board has been very educational for me and I appreciate all the info I've gathered here. If anyone reading this has any ideas I'd be glad to hear it.
Thanks
Houston