I have been following callahans "Ag lie and PH?..." thread, and have read all the resources on it.

Here are my questions. Before I got on here and started researching I ordered some fish to stock. Not a huge number...but did order. We have a fairly new pond...recently...well finally filled...has dropped but stabilized. No woods around...pasture (recently turned hay meadows)...used to be peach trees. I have not tested water through a service...only used aquarium and pool tests. PH is a little high...around 8.4-8.6....nitrates well below danger...I would assume by the reading it would be zero. The issue is alkalinity. I know I need lime. Its around 20 or a little below. Although I see little to no fluctuation in PH from morning to late evening. Not below 8 in morning. We have some vegetation, not alot. Only in the shallow end. Yes I know...shouldn't have a shallow end...but just found site.. mad lol. I can't stop fish from coming at this point. I know I have some "bucket" fish that my kids have put in. Some have been caught and are healthy. Pretty clear water...we have many gravel pits around here. We are on a hill so we get alot of wind...water never sits except in evening.

Now to the question...I have sourced calcium carbonate lime. They are pretty short because the quarry has been so wet since the spring. Will I harm the new fish if I lime before...they come friday...or soon after...next week? I was thinking a couple tons. My pond is probably 3/4 to one acre...although not near full right now. Probably 7-8 avg depth. I was thinking one ton on water shed then one in water. Can you put too much calcium carbonate out? I know in SW AR you lime just about everything. I haven't gotten a chance to send off soil or water tests. Would it hurt to go ahead and lime? Any information would be appreciated! I can probably get a google earth image if that would help...although it was taken when it had very little water in it...nearly three years old.

Thanks!!

Scott