Pond guy came today. He is 2nd generation in this type of business. He checked with his father and also company he gets his chemistry. Something that hadn't dawned on us:

We've just been here 2 years. Previous owner had pond dug and he, being an engineer, designed or helped design it. As I mentioned, he said he at one time had 500 trout. For whatever reason (maybe overabundance of algae?) decided he was cleaning the pond and used copper sulphate. Obviously, no more fish. That had been several years before we came on the scene.

We did some inquiring and were told if we were careful and didn't do any heavy-duty raking in the pond we should be okay. I guess the copper sulphate stays in the ground.

Our pond guy was using chemicals to clean out both weeds and algae. They are thinking that possibly this reacted with the bottom and maybe released some of the copper sulfate. The fish he did see he said seemed healthy (looking at their eyes). He didn't think they were all dead and we think they are going down to the well where it's cooler.

We have noticed the numbers of fish is increasing when we feed them, even since last night. So we're hopeful. Pond guy is going to keep in touch and in the fall restock some for us if we want.

The idea that they are adjusting to the change in chemistry also makes sense.

Tom mentioned that a while ago he raked out a small turtle. Guessing it got away and/or he didn't think it would do any harm. Pond guy said we should bait a hook with a piece of fish and just leave the line tied to a tree. Eventually the turtle will hook himself and we can get him out. Apparently it can still take bites out of fish...?

Trying to upload some pix of our artesian well setup. We live in a remote area...or "dead zone" so sometimes I have to wait until I go to the 'big city' for better reception.