Originally Posted By: Kaos
I just built a 3/4 acre water shed pond. Has about 10-15 acres runoff to it. Deepest parts are 8 - 9 ft with one end being 2 ft or less in places. This was already a low area that water ran through my property.
Now I am working on creating cover for fish (Bass, Sac-a-Lait, Bluegill, Catfish) before the pond fills.
I am planning on some pallet structure, pvc structures, a couple of root balls, but was considering dropping some whole trees in the pond. Some of them being pine trees. Is there anything negative about pine trees in a pond for cover?

Kaos, I have an east Texas pond in the pines myself, and I can tell you that you will likely have issues with alkalinity and pH. Be sure to thoroughly lime the pond at a rate of 4 or 5 tons per acre (so 3 to 4 tons), well worked into the soil. You might also consider putting down another ton or two along the areas that drain into the pond.

I put 14 tons on the pond bottom on expert advice, then decided to put in 14 more on my own. It hasn't been enough to keep the pH above 6. So I'm now going to spend even more money having another liming done from a boat.

Sac-a-lait and catfish are great for eating, but if you want large bass for sport, I'd reconsider. FHM, CNBG, RES, and maybe even GSH would be better. Unfortunately, tilapia are illegal to stock in Louisiana.

Also, I highly recommend a Texas Hunter feeder & good BG feed, like Aquamax MVP or Optimal. They will fatten up your panfish quickly, which will also fatten up your bass!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160