Ewest thanks for the input.

Concerning #1 it is possible that it could be a hybrid of some sort. It does not look exactly like most of my other RES, although I can not say I have caught a huge number of the adults so I do not have a lot of references to go by. The pectoral fin looked a little short for a RES to me. But the orange tab was definitely of a solid nature and not like any GSF tab border I have seen. The most numbers of RES I have seen are the more recent ones stocked in my sediment pond and they are all still pretty small. They are also in a more turbid pond so their colors are usually washed out. I hope to get to observe a lot more RES adults in the future.

On 5 & 6 here is where it gets interesting. While it is true I have CNBG in my sediment pond and I have also transferred a few hundred of the original and offspring CNBG to my main pond, this fish is way to big/old to be a part of any of the stocked CNBG. This fish has to have come from my original stocking from a fish farm in Kansas (Wallace) which I can not imagine would be using CNBG genetics. It would be from the same stocking that the pictures of the BG in pics 2 and 3 were from.

Just goes to show, what first appears to be a pretty simple task, IDing fish genetics is anything but simple.

Again, thanks for the input. For me in my novice approach I unfortunately focus in on the few traits I am somewhat familiar with (such as the orange/red tab = RES). I know you guys with lots more knowledge and experience also focus on additional traits I don't consider. When you explain what you see, that helps me start to look at those additional traits.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine