It does not show up well in the picture. And I know from my reading on this forum that color is not a reliable indicator.

But the fish had the mottled cheeks just like my RES do. And you can not see it on the opercular tab hardly in the picture (look at the very last picture and you can see it faintly towards the lower edge of the tab) but the border has a translucent orange border. It is not bright and it has black pigment mixed in so it is hard to see in the picture. All my BG have solid black opercular tabs. All my GSF have translucent orange borders on the tabs. All my RES have solid orange or red borders. That fish has a translucent orange border with lots of black pigment mixed in so it is hard to see in the picture.

Those two things, the non-solid border on the opercular tab (green fishy)and the mottled cheeks (not like GSF bars, but like the RES cheeks) are what make me wonder if it is not a RES/GSF/BG mut of some sort. Whatever it is it is a pretty decent fish and I would not feel ashamed to have a lot of them like it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine