Kirk, I scanned back over all this thread and I did not see any specific stated goals for the fishery. If they are in there I missed them and that is usually one of the first questions given to new posters.......... what are your goals for the pond?

That question is of the utmost importance. Is the primary goal fishing or is that a secondary or third or fourth goal? If you want to raise trophy LMB or some other fish specific goal the plans moving forward might be a lot different than if you want a general panfish fishery you can get a meal once in a while and the kids can catch fish easily. The recommendations for growing a double digit bass may go from the extreme of killing the pond off and starting over better to if you want a kiddy fishing pond with a fish on every cast you might be right on target to get there. I had a dozen kids over fishing Saturday and I noticed no difference in the excitement between a 4" BG and a 9" BG pulled in. I was more excited about the nine incher but for the kids numbers seemed what mattered.

Don't get discouraged. Let us know what you expect to accomplish or what you expect out of the pond, and it will make it a lot easier to get good advice. Without stated goals, everyone that posts has to come up with their own version of what they would envision the pond to be. Their vision may be nothing like yours.

In my case I have no desire for trophy fish. Some guys the fish and fishing are the goal and the pond is just a way to get there. They want a 12# bass and want to know how to get it. For me it is the complete opposite. The pond and the process is what floats my boat and the fishing is just a nice sideline. I get more fun from and spend more time feeding my fish daily than I do actually fishing for them, although the fishing is fun too. In my case the journey IS the destination. I have about as much fun trapping little fish and moving them to another pond. Am I doing the right thing? Probably not but I am having fun doing it and isn't that supposed to be what a hobby is for? (other than throwing vast amount of time and money into a bottomless pit).

So before some of the recommendations get you in a tizzy, figure out what is actually important to you and try to convey it to us. Then the guys and gals on here that actually know something (myself not included) can do a lot better with the direction you need to go to get there.

Don't get discouraged. You are going to enjoy your pond.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by snrub; 06/27/16 01:32 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine