Hello all,

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have experience building docks. The reason for the first 2 questions is that there is a 16 foot unsupported span between the 6 telephone poles set in a rectangular pattern before the pond filled and the shore where I can support it with more telephone poles or some 4 x 4 posts in concrete. A lot of questions here, so a sincere thanks in advance for the help on this.

A few details for context:

*I realize that anything can be done with enough money. I cannot break the bank on the dock. Cost is a factor.
*I plan on the walkway being 6-8 feet wide to allow for seating/storage.
*Whatever is used for this project will need to be able to be lifted/carried by myself and a few friends using small boats. No big machinery available (excavator, crane, ect...)

1. Can wood be used to span this area? If so, how. If not, what is the next best alternative?

2. What is an effective, yet economical way to set effective dock supports in a pond which is already full?

3. What is the general consensus on a decking material that doesn't break the bank but will last a while (15-20 years)?

4. Will I have to bolt the main frame of the dock to the telephone poles, or can some large wood screws be used? Any other ideas are welcome as well.