This is the kind of thread that makes our forum thrive. Well done! Respectful interaction and display of facts, experiences, science and thoughtful opinions. Love it!

Over the past few years, our little company has been involved setting up some intriguing genetic studies. As the data has been coming in, it's fascinating. One lake in particular, near Athens, Texas, was the first private lake stocked with pure strain Florida bass, back in 1972. The fish population was eliminated, forage fish stocked and the Florida bass added. TPWD spearheaded this project, preparing to make decisions about using the Florida strain in Lake Fork. They stocked 5 private lakes. To this day, there is heavy influence of Florida genes, some of which remain pure. As more data comes in, we'll write about it Pond Boss. Some of that data was presented at Pond Boss VI Conference and Expo, and it will happen again at the next conference.

My personal experience with the different strains and intergrade crosses suggest we start with the best genetics for that region. I certainly understand Todd's point of view and we can't argue much with Eric's statement from the scientific community. The most exciting thing about all this is what we don't know. Just in the last few years, there's been a push to figure out just how important genetics are, compared to environmental circumstances. I'd say this...if we don't have the best habitat, the best food chain and a thoughtful harvest program, genetics don't matter for squat. It's a combination of all these things. Plus, even when you simply look at genetics, end gain is profoundly influenced by environment. Think about it this way. Say you buy and stock Todd's bass. You KNOW they are genetically superior to other fish. Say you stock that 100 per acre in a new lake with lots of food to eat. How many will grow beyond 10 pounds? How many will make 15?
You can discount 50 of those 100 immediately. They are males. Males don't grow that large. Then, you can eliminate at least half the females. Those won't be aggressive enough, or have the best temperament. What about the remaining 25? Will they have the opportunity? In fisheries management, genetics are important if you want any chance to grow big fish. But, they aren't the end of the means. Staying with the inbreeding or outbreeding depression. I still believe in survival of the fittest. If Todd's fish make it to their second year, and spawn, how many of those babies will make it to double-digits? Zero? They have greater hurdles than these first stocked fish, regardless of their genetic heritage.

Great debate, folks. Keep it up...this kind of exchange keeps the intellectual juices flowing and leads to a healthy exchange of ideas.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...