An update to this thread.

This spring I took a proactive approach to see if I could keep ahead of the FA and keep it from getting into the nasty glob stage. I don't mind some around the edge of the pond, but wanted to try and keep it mostly under control. I actually like a little because it is good cover for critters that my BG like to eat.

So far it SEEMS to be working. However it could be just as TJ suggested that some years it can be worse than others and this simply might have been a not-so-bad year.

But this is what I have done that has seemed to have helped at least to date.

First, I started off early. FA gets started (at least in my pond) in very early spring and this year we had a warm March and it was already starting to grow on the bottom.

I took a two pronged approach. Limited chemical control and pond dye to keep light from penetrating deep into the bottom of the pond.

The water was very clear early this year after winter during water warm up. I could see the green FA starting on the bottom of the pond. Around the shallow edge it was already getting 6" long or so, not as much in deeper water.

I used some Cutrine granules from the bank to about 6' out and ordered some black pond dye. The Cutrine did a good job of killing the near shore FA.

The black is harder to find than the blue, but my wife and I both like the reflective look of the black than the blue tint of the blue dyes. I ended up using two different brands of dye but both were concentrated and advertised that a quart was equal to a gallon of regular pond dye. Having never used pond dye I have no idea if this is true (or they were just pulling my leg to get a sale). The treatment rate was 1-2 qts per surface acre with an average depth of 6'. I started with 2 quarts on a three acre pond, not wanting to make too drastic change all at once. Within the next week I added one more quart then another to end up at the time with 4 qts on the 3 acres. The dye looked like it might be helping but could still see the bottom at 3' depth or so. Ordered another brand direct from the manufacturer (at a better price but have to order 12 quarts case). Added more till I was at the upper 2 quarts per acre rate.

In the mean time the FA was coming back around the pond edge where the water was shallow. Treated with a small amount of Cutrine liquid and within a few days took care of it.

To date this appears to be working. I have added a little more pond dye as it naturally dissipates over time and as we have had large enough rain events to have flow-through and dilution. When I have a good algae bloom it is not needed. I only add the dye if the water clarity gets too great for several days without an algae bloom and it appears the FA could again start up. Usually only add one to two quarts at a time. Out of the original 4+12=16 quarts I have bought I think there is still 4 left in the box. This is on three acres of pond.

So far so good. With a couple of fairly minor treatments early with Cutrine around the edge along with the pond dye when the water was too clear, so far all I have had is small amounts of FA around the edge of the pond at times and at times none at all.

That is this year. If I can control it again next year with the same routine I will consider it a successful treatment (assuming it continues through the rest of summer well). I might have just got lucky and this was a lesser FA growing year or my pond has changed. But so far, so good.

Last edited by snrub; 05/19/16 12:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine