Bfree,(Billy?) Welcome to PB. Some of the Pro's here have some really good suggestions.

I might add before you spend a lot of money(you said 60 grand and want it right) I would suggest reading a perfect pond want one you can order here on PB. Just FYI and my opinion, you may want to follow Bill D's advice and get it in writing so to speak. HOA's are notorious for changing the rules
(IMHO) and get the agreement for as long as you and any subsequent owner lives on the property, so it will be easier to sell, even if and when the rules change.

Anyway, on the connecting pond, or spilling yours into the older pond, I would suggest you keep control of your body of water with a higher dam, deeper water. I would give you an example if your pond is connected and the fish can run back and forth without restriction then if some honest home owner brings in fish that you may not want in your pond you have a big problem. Another that just comes to mined is if you happen to be the only HOA member that feeds your fish and the main pond fish feeds off you, then? Another issue might be, if the big lake becomes infested with a weed you do not want, travels the channel to your pond? You would probably have some issue due to bird traveling,but it would still be easier to control. Another issue might be if someone used the wrong or too much herbicide, insecticide, or just by accident, dumped oil/ gasoline or any other product into the larger body of water? You can see the issues and many more, that you can control with a spillway and not so much with a channel. IMHO

I think rainman has told another/other PB'ers that alum works to drop the clay out of the water. I do not know the ratio etc, but if you are having a truck to bring out Hydrated lime or ag lime you could have the alum brought out at the same time to save time and trips and bla, bla. IMHO. You could pm rainman and maybe he could help you.

I assume the feeder creek flows all the time,right,?,Spring fed?
If it dries up, then you might need supplemental water if you are central LA or northern,similar to East Tx where I live.

Another issue might be rain runoff,watershed. You need to know that if you have a 5, 10 or more inch rain and not have a breach of your dam or flush your pond.

Do you plan on aeration, feeding the fish and what species of fish are you planning.

Good luck and thanks for pic's,send more if you can. Good luck all the way around.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.