Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Water temp was at 60 last evening so I threw a couple of handfuls of pellets to see if I had any takers. Only a couple CC showed up. Tried it again tonight and the CC were hitting pellets like crazy and a few BG (not pellet trained) showed up; even the little newbie CC I stocked last fall were there (I think CC are born pellet trained! smile ). Looks like it's time to crank it up on the feeding for me. Hard to beat the taste of a CC fillet that was raised on grain based pellets!

Edit: There is no doubt in my mind that CC are the "smartest" fish in the pond. Did the ones last night communicate with the others in someway that made all show up tonight?

Funny thing Bill my cc and BC don't come to the top when the feeder goes off and there is 250 of them in there. Only CNBG and LMB , the bass learned it on their own

The first year for my CC I never saw any hit the surface. When feeding some sinking pellets if I held very still and waited I could catch a glimpse of one once in a while near shore on the bottom. Year two by the end of the year I was seeing a lot of them hitting pellets on the surface but some swimming frantically along the bottom wondering where the food was. Now this third year I see a lot of 2-3# eating off the surface. I've harvested about a third of the population (originally stocked 100 per acre).

Although I don't have any right now, I like to mix in about 10% of a sinking catfish pellet, just to help get some of the fish feeding that are not prone to come to the surface, hoping if they get some feed off the bottom they will learn to eat on the surface. By using only 10% I still get the feedback of the floating feed to know the fish are actively feeding. The CC will stir the bottom up some though with sinking food, if that is a problem. I kind of like them doing that, but my sediment settles back out quickly so it does not cause turbidity.

Last edited by snrub; 05/08/16 10:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine