Thanks for the added info on tiny sediment ponds.

I noticed as I fed yesterday evening that now the water has a huge algae bloom.

Went to muddy and almost fishless right after the rain, to clearing up to now bright green. Probably algae using fertility from the washed in sediment I would presume.

Be interesting to watch what happens over time. Think I will not add any fish back and just see what nature provides. See what fish swim back into it in subsequent rains and see how the remaining FHM population does.

I'm glad I built both the sediment pond and this tiny pre-sediment pond. Between the two of them it sure traps a lot of the muddy water and keeps it out of the main pond. During a big rain event the overflow from the sediment pond into the main pond will still have some sediment and add a little tiny amount of muddy look to the main pond, but nothing like what the two sediment ponds look like.

They are doing their job of extending the life of the main pond.

Plus the sediment pond is doing a secondary task of growing some forage fish. John F and his wife came up and visited our pond setup yesterday and he and I fished maybe 20 or so 3-5" CNBG out of it and threw them over into the main pond populated with northern BG and I did another 40 or so later that day (along with one RES). So although the pre-sediment pond may have a fish kill or at least fish loss, the sediment pond is still producing forage fish.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine