I don't think you can over aerate but I can tell you of a story.

My uncle had a tropical fish business raising fresh water angle fish. When I went to collage I was able to live with him to save some cash but had to work in his fish room. I had to clean five pair of breeder tanks every day so I could keep up. I would wipe down the algae and change 30% of the water. The tanks had a constant flow in and out but needed the bottoms cleaned out. Long story but when filling you had to fill slow with the valve that would be the source of the constant in flow. If you filled it fast and just let it go it would over aerate the water and the fish would basically hyperventilate on air.

I regret it to this day that I killed 5 pair of black marble lace angle fish. I was in a hurry to get home to my girl (my wife now). I cleaned the tanks got the water going fast to refill. Thought I would load my car up and pack up for the weekend. Got the car packed locked up the house and left. Completely forgot to turn the water back. My uncle calls me later that night at home..... Oh was I mad at my self. I felt so bad and there was nothing I could do to make it better. They were a young new pairs that took two years to raise and pair up.

Sooo yes you can over aerate but I think it would be difficult with a pond. I think it was Bill that gave me a rule of thumb that if your rocks in the water have bubbles on them cut back the hours you run the aeration. Your wasting hydro and energy.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 05/06/16 07:20 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.