Originally Posted By: For the Family
So Essup/Rainman, it sounds like I'll be killing this pump to be barely under performing. Any suggestions on a pump strong enough? I'm on a bit of a budget with the expense of the dam repair. That what the idea of the PVC was about. Cheaper to make a longer run from the stalls.

Would running the PVC sticks through cinder block/brick holes create any concerns? I've seen where people have purchased the non-weighted hose and put galvanized 1 inch nuts around the hose and secured them to slide in 5ft sections with duct tape. At 27 cents a piece it would offset the cost of the weighted hose. I am usually a right tool for the job kinda guy, but money gets in the way sometimes. Enter in ingenuity.

Is it more cost efficient to run two pumps or one very strong one? (knowing I need to aerate two ponds at once)

My goal is the larger pond is going to be big bass waters, and the smaller a catfish and panfish pond for guest junk fishing. It has easier access for the guests who bring kids.

PVC or even cheaper black Poly tubing at a minimum 1.25" diameter is great for all buried, non-water runs. You WILL need to service all lines under water at some point, and once you add the labor and cost to "weights", you will find the self-weighted tubing (1/2"-5/8" size is less money and WAY less pain of a PITA! I think that using nuts, you will need at least one nut, every foot...that makes it more expensive per foot than weighted tubing, plus when you need to lift or move the diffuser, you'll break the PVC lines, or not get the diffuser moved.

Use schedule 40 PVC for strength wherever you install manifolds or ball valves and other exposed areas, Poly for long runs (Seal buried hose clamps to slow/stop bolt rust) and weighted anywhere lines are under water.

2 smaller pumps may be better than one larger one....

Last edited by Rainman; 05/05/16 11:54 AM.