I hadn't posted an update for a long time. Here's a real quick one.

I never got the lake drained down like planned. Mainly due to time constraints.

I talked with a fisheries biologist for quite a while earlier this week when requesting an application for fish stocking*. I need to get that sent back before August 31st so need to decide soon on some things.

* $25 application + $1 per acre - price will increase significantly next year.

We had a good conversation. He suggested the bluegill, redear combination at 1000 total per acre stocked this fall with 100 channel cats per acre, then stocking largemouth bass at 100 per acre next year. Said for a lake this size, they might even bring them out to the site.

I asked about walleye, smallmouth, and hybrid striped bass. He said I'd need to be aware that walleye would almost certainly just be a put and take situation. Like most here, he said don't mix largemouth and smallmouth as the largemouth will take over. Seems like said about largemouth could be more dependable at controlling bluegill populations. Seems like he said he wasn't aware of anyone around this area utilizing hybrid striped bass as sportfish in ponds - mainly just commercially.

I need to decide real soon exactly how to stock it... Any last minute reassurances or suggestions?

We also talked about pipes through the dam vs. spillways. He is apparently an advocate of pipes drain pipes with anti-seep collars through the dams. I think the main reason was to remove the bad water from the lake bottom, but also ease in controlling water levels. Too late now, but made me wonder again if I shouldn’t have gone with a drain pipe in the bottom.

Seemed like a real nice guy and was an interesting conversation.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]