I've had FA problems for a couple seasons now. Pond is three years old. I will not offer advice because have not had enough experience to do so. Others will come along that can. But I can offer some observations.

Chemicals like Cutrine will control the FA very well. Problem is it comes right back. The fix is short term and needs repeated. Plus there could eventually be an issue of copper buildup over time. I use both the granules and liquid, but try to use it sparingly only to partially control what is around the bank out a couple feet. I have parts of the pond that is shallow enough when the water is clear it will grow over a considerable amount of the pond.

So this year I have been experimenting with black pond dye. So far I think it is helping. Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far with only a little Cutrine early in the season around the bank along with the pond dye to cut the light penetration in deeper water and so far so good. But for pond dye to help you have to get ahead of the problem when the FA starts very early in cold spring time water. Like I say, fingers crossed.

I actually like a small amount of FA around the banks. Till I get some more pond plants established, the FA does make some cover for fish fry and if you pull some up and inspect it in mine I found lots of critters for small BG to eat. So in controlled quantities, I don't mind a little of it in shallow water.

That is my limited experience.

Last edited by snrub; 05/03/16 10:16 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine