I'm a knife and sharpening junkie. I have just about every kind of device and contraption available and way over a dozen different stones. These days, I generally use my oldest Arkansas stone with oil and finish off with a steel and cheap strop or belt leather. It's generally about the steel and the angles.

I even sharpen my razors and get 4 to 6 months out of a throw away razor. I strop them 4 times only. Yessir, I'm a junkie.

And, like Tony, I prefer high carbon steel over stainless. My Wife has said no more knives in the knife drawer.

The one thing I've never been able to do is use a straight razor. I've bought them, had them professionally honed and carefully stropped. But, I can only wipe lather off my face. I quit.

These days I just buy blades from Jantz Supply and put craft wood handles on them. I did over 100 last year including 8 sets of steak knives for Xmas. That cost me about $1,500 for materials and $5,000 for hearing aids.

Wait until Ken weighs in. He is the master sharpener.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP