I have been reading these posts, and I am surprised no one has mentioned that Canada allows the use of Karmex in ponds, or that Miss. has recommended the use in catfish ponds since 2005
as seen in this:
Herbicides approved to fight pond algae
Jun 13, 2005 Delta Farm Press
EMAIL
INSHARE

COMMENTS 5
Mississippi Agriculture Commissioner Lester Spell recently announced his department has received approval from the United States Environmental Protection Agency for an emergency exemption on the herbicides Direx 4L and Karmex DF (both diuron) to control blue-green algae in catfish ponds.

“Our effort to make these diuron products available as pond management tools is vital to the health of our catfish industry as it gives producers the needed tools for controlling blue-green algae, a primary cause of off-flavor,” Spell said.

Mississippi catfish producers must balance their need to control blue-green algae with the desire to preserve pond plants that provide oxygen and keep water clean.

Several copper-based algaecides registered for use in catfish ponds are non-selective and have the potential to kill both beneficial plants and non-beneficial plants in ponds.

Direx 4L and Karmex DF are selective herbicides and target the primary pest plants responsible for off-flavor. The species of blue-green algae responsible for significant off-flavor problems in catfish is

Oscillatoria chalybea. This species releases a chemical compound known as MIB (2-methylisoborned) into the water.

Catfish absorb MIB into their bloodstream as water passes through their gills. The compound is transported by the blood and deposited into the flesh of the fish.

Low concentrations of MIB produce a musty-to-muddy off-flavor color, which inhibits the marketability of the fish.

Producers incur considerable costs holding affected catfish in ponds for several weeks until the fish purge the compound from their bodies.

The department has authority under Section 18 of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act to obtain an emergency exemption for a non-labeled use of a pesticide if significant losses of an agricultural commodity are likely and alternative, registered products are not available or effective.

The department administers the provisions of emergency exemptions through the Bureau of Plant Industry.

Catfish producers with questions can call the bureau toll-free at 888-257-1285.

I do have friends that use this, a little goes a long way, and have had no problem with it. It is not legal, but there you go.

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!