I noticed about a month or so ago that snails have appeared on my boat ramp rocks, both those out of the water and in ~1-2" of water. I didn't see any last year in this Decemeber 2001 stocked 4.5 acre pond.

There are two types of snails and basically these are (photos available by email):
a. dischoidal - dark brown with light brown radial bands (not longitudinal), small @ 1 to 1.5 cm size
b. conical - left turned, black, very small (~0.5 to 1 cm, most prevalent type observed

What's different from last year:
1. The 15 tons of limestone rock placed for a boat ramp that I put in so Dennis Rhoades could apply 30 tons of ag lime in December 2002.
2. The 60+ water turkeys that became semi-residents during Jan-Mar. The population did quickly diminish after I began reading about some tactics and techniques from this board and after getting my ghillie suit out.
3. I added ~100lbs of crawfish about the same time that I noticed the snails showed up.
4. I am a lot more observant and dangerously learned now after acquiring various information.

I do have shellcrackers (~600 1-3" stocked in Dec01) incorporated in the stocking regime, but figure they can't get into the very shallow water to enjoy a meal.

So, are these a problem, or will they be a problem, and if so, what can I do to rid the pond of these small mollusks? Or should I not even worry about them. All I have read says the redears are the solution.

I plan on increasing the redear stocking rate this weekend by an additional 500 fingerlings as a precaution to make sure there are sufficient predators.

I appreciate any info y'all can provide and I thank you in advance for any assistance.