Originally Posted By: Zep
Shorty I am not sure the Nebraska plan would really have much effect on the much more massive feral hog population in Texas, but heck what do I know? I read that an estimated 750,000-plus feral hogs have been killed each of the past few years in Texas. There are an estimated 2.6 million of them spread across at least 240 of Texas'254 counties.

The Nebraska plan was implemented here when just a few small pockets of feral hogs were known to be in the state, the plan squashed financial incentives for people releasing them into other areas of Nebraska for profit. Professional hunters were then hired to go after the existing small pockets of feral hogs we had. It might help if Texas simply outlawed landowners charging to hunt feral hogs and outlawed guided feral hog hunts. Something to think about.

Loaded shotguns in vehicles are against the law here, loaded rifles in vehicles on the other hand are quite legal. The exemption for loaded rifles in vehicles was written to allow ranchers go after coyotes and protect their cattle. Does Texas have similar law?