Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
If you could target single sex LMB or get them from other pond boss members you could still have a LMB predator pond and not have to rely so heavily on a huge BG forage base to keep them going. But once LMB reproduce it gets tough to balance predator and forage unless you can fish out the smaller LMB.

I love your raised rock in the middle!!

Are HSB allowed in NY? A perch, HSB combo with a few RES (if they can survive that far north) or pumpkinseed for panfish fishing might be interesting to try.

Bill can also suggest what else would mix well with YP in your area and with your goals.

Some PB members in Ohio (and perhaps indiana and illinois?) have access to pond-spawning spotfin shiners (and others) which I would like to try but commercial fish outfits in Michigan don't sell them that I'm aware of.

Thanks I like the rock also, we found it digging and opted to leave it for structure. Hopefully it will stay elevated like that. I believe HSB are allowed in NY and I am definitely interested in learning more about them. I like the idea of a variety of fish, but have read that some HSB do not do well in the warmer months. As for forage, I would welcome all shiners minnows and whatever I can get to flourish in the pond. I know it isn't the biggest body of water but I'd like to think I should be able to maintain some balance.

I don't remember the measurements of the pond off hand. I think it was around 160' x 90ish'. there was no additives brought in for the pond construction, it is all natural. The only compaction done was from the machine driving around digging. As for the water, there seems to be a little ground water in there but we had a trench dug from a natural spring about 50 yards up hill in the woods. The pond took no time at all to fill up between the spring and runoff.

Last edited by joeambro25; 03/04/16 02:50 PM.