Rainman, Cool idea! I'm not sure if that would work though?

My understanding is that you need Part A of the mixture to grab suspended particles and clay and start pulling that together as it sinks to bind up all the surrounding loose soil. Then part B needs to glob it together and force it down the leaking spots. I think if you don't have enough suspended or nearby dirt to pull together that they advise adding bentonite clay to make sure you have enough.

I guess if your applicator could apply just under the surface and still have it go in a spread out distribution pattern while dry it might work....

I know for me, when watching how I applied it, that having it fan out in a powder 'mist' and lay in a very thin even layer over a wide swath of water was much more helpful. The floating swath would merge into the next floating swath before slowly sinking and this seemed to give me a better blanket of coverage.

For me, at least, if I threw a handful (from a measuring cup) and it landed in a C shaped pile in the water, it wouldn't fan out evenly by the time it hit the bottom.

How to reproduce that wide even layer before it starts sinking, AND to administer that even layer while under the water would be the design challenge.

Just knowing that soil floc works though has opened up a lot of new avenues of thought for me. I really would like a small forage pond and I really didn't know where or how to build one on my narrow lot. Now I know that all I need to do is dig a hole anywhere and seal it with soilfloc. Pretty powerful tool for anyone who wanted to dig forage ponds but didn't want to compact clay or buy a liner.