Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
IMO YP don't swim any slower than sunfish or even juvenile bass. For your 1 acre,,, 6-10 egg ribbons should be enough to provide a good year class of 2016 YP providing you are not over abundant with SMbass. Do you also have other forage fish such as shiners and crayfish?

If we use TJ's theory of 1% survival, 10 egg ribbons with a average 20,000 eggs each results in about 200,000 fry. The 1% survival is 2000 fingerlings and 0.5% survival is 1000 fingerlings which are probably too many 2016 recruits for your 1 ac pond.

I have grass shrimp, and some crayfish. We also stocked GS, but many were caught and died in grass netting (erosion matts) I had placed around the pond edges. My FHM population is still fairly significant. I have very little plant growth around the edges. Cover so far is submerged cedar trees and artificial structure I've made from PVC pipe, lots of sunken pallets, and 8" Rock. I think I'll be watching pretty closely on the ribbons. If I see too many I'll pull branches and ribbons out.
Once again, really appreciate the advice. I probably need to use the electric shock etc., to find out what the fish density is.
Unfortunately, I'm not the most accomplished fisherman, hard to tell how many fish have survived the initial stocking..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023