Update....As part of my effort to improve the food chain, I realize I must continue my efforts to improve vegetation habitat in the pond. A couple of forum members have offered to send me some starts of red tip eel grass. I will try getting this going in the pond this spring. Although I THINK I might have a small start of American Pondweed in the pond already, I am still looking for a source for more.

I will be ordering some scuds this week. Plan will be to populate a 20 gallon aquarium in the basement for spring stocking to the pond. The balance of this order will be dropped thru the hole in the ice created by the winter diffuser...hope a few of those bugs make it! smile

Update….

The Scuds arrived safely today. Must have been a couple thousand of them. They came in a breather bag which I’d heard of but never seen. No need to add O2 to the bag. Pretty cool!

I put probably 200 in the 20 G tank and another 40 or 50 in a 5.5 G tank. The rest I put in the pond where they disappeared immediately into the rip rap.

Here’s a pic of my 20 G scud tank.

And here’s a pic of a few of the scuds getting busy chowing down on leaves.

Attached Images
Scuds in 20 G.jpg Scuds Chow Time.jpg
Last edited by Bill D.; 11/14/19 03:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!