What I've done to eradicate poison ivy:
1) Put on a painter's suit that will be bagged and thrown away. Include the booties that will be worn over cheap shoes that can also be thrown out.

2) Put on 1 pair of surgical skin tight gloves followed by a second pair of work gloves that will allow me to grasp and have grip.

3) Lay out in advance the construction trash bags that will be used, the extra pairs of gloves in case the worn gloves tear, and most importantly the 5 gallon buckets of cool water with throw away cotton towels and Technu poison ivy scrub and Zanfel. I want everything laid out easy access ready to go.

4) Crossbow by Southern AG. Truly nasty stuff.

5) Cutting tools that will also be bagged and thrown out.

6) Ziplock bags

I cut back all the ivy and bagged it as I went. I left 8 inches above ground for vines that I could not pull out or off trees due to height up tree.

I then use trip zip lock bags and pour Crossbow in the bags and insert the vine then zip it close and position it so it cannot spill or leak. I have found that by allowing the vine to absorb the chemical for days the vine will kill itself. Once it was withered then I went in again and removed the dead vines.