Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Bill D,
I'm feeling foolish for missing out on warning you about that. It didn't cross my mind that this might happen to you too. I too purchased some scud and put most in my pond, but kept a few in an inside aquarium. The seller of the scud recommended using leaves that were not easily obtained here in W MI (I think mulberry maybe he said?) I chose a mix of leaves that I had laying on the ground in the woods. Mostly maple, some oak, but all dead and very dry.

I probably only kept 20 or so scud and they buzzed around very happily in my aquarium with light aeration. But over time I too had tannin stain to the point of not being able to see them anymore. However at that point even though I tried to carefully strain water and remove leaves, i could not reliably catch any live scud to transfer. I think some died, and some held on to the leaves so I couldn't easily separate and save them. My experiment ended (at least the part in the aquarium inside did) I hope the scuds are fairing well in the pond. But they are such tiny buggers I have not confirmed a visual on them yet.

I missed your first posts so missed warning you about that. I do wonder if someone used live maple leaves (green) if that would have worked. Or maybe even some sections of aquatic weeds/plants would serve well as hiding, holding places and nutrition for the scuds? I imagine live oak leaves may not be appropriate here.

They are tiny critters so I hope you can successfully move them and continue your experiment.

CC,

No worries. I haven't ordered the scuds yet. As I've never done this before, I'm taking it slow. I just setup the tank with the leaves and light aeration to observe for a week or so. I am going to drain everything and put the current leaves in a bucket with frequent water changes until they stop leaching then try them in the tank again. The website I looked at said maple or mulberry were best but did not mention issues with the leaching. I want to get this right if I can before ordering the scuds. Scuds need oxygen so I want to make sure I don't end up with an anaerobic layer of gunk in the bottom of the tank that the scuds can't utilize.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!