Originally Posted By: TGW1
Frank, I suspect the area you speak of may need to be limed. There may be a possibility of clay on the surface and as you know, here in E Texas we have acidic soils. Liming made all the difference in an area around my pond and the one place I was not able to lime, I have had slow growth of ground cover. Depending on the area size, it might take just 5 to 10 (50lb sks) spread over a small area. Dusting the surface should help out. I would also add some seed with the lime.

Tracy

I limed and fertilized my dam on our main pond. Seeded it twice (but did not irrigate nor put down straw) and twice failed. Finally weeds and some wild grass started growing. I actually like the wild crabgrass better than the fescue. But eventually a little of the fescue did live and seeded out. Now I have grass.

I don't know why, but on newly torn up soil or clay that has not seen the light of day before, seems to take a year of weathering before I can get much to grow on it.

Spend enough money on it and I'm sure there are guys out there that can get it done. But my luck has been that the second year stuff will finally start to grow. For me, it just takes some time. Not what you wanted to hear.

Muck dug out of the bottom of an old pond and spread out is the same way. Seems like about a year later after it has weathered it will finally grow something.

Last edited by snrub; 02/07/16 08:10 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine