Originally Posted By: TDUBYA
John F: Thanks for replying. I would love to have an accurate idea of the volume of water that flows thru my little ravine here. It's like a miniature Colorado River when we get a heavy or consistent downpour. I agree, a typical approach is not going to work here. I like your idea as well.

Snrub: Thanks to you also. Not that it would stand up in court but, if I were unfortunate enough to be tangled up with some agencies, I would claim that I'm renovating an old man-made farm pond that is less than an acre (I've been told no permit needed if less than 1 acre) and it is not a blue line stream, nor is the larger portion on past me. All true but may not matter. I hope I don't find out. You hit on what was going to be one of my next questions about the backside of the dam/spillway. I had done what you mentioned on a smaller scale with the rock flow thru dam earlier after I took out the barrels. And as you mentioned the flow eventually cut a new path around the rock pile so I moved them to try to prevent more erosion of the sides until I sort this all out.

Here's a question for y'all and anyone else who would like to chime in...
What kind of effects would widening and deepening the area have? My infantile understanding of hydrology envisions toilet bowl action...LOL

Widening and deepening would last till the first heavy flow refills everything you'd removed. I used to have to scoop out gravel after every heavier rain to reopen our "swimming hole"..