Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
I wish I had greener algae, rather than the brown I get. I wonder if it's from the feeder? I only feed 4 seconds a day, but it's a long 4 seconds with my feeder. I usually have very calm water in the woods, so not a lot of wave action. Every now and then I would get a whiff of a sulphur smell. In the canoe, on a very calm day. I have not fertilized the water, but I have put down fertilizer on the new fescue around the pond, and I know the alfalfa fields above the pond get nutrients. I know the oak leaves that fall into the pond every fall by the millions add to brownish color also.

Which leads me to a question about something I read on another web site just yesterday. If I can find it again I will post the link. You say you wish you had the green algae rather than brown. I have thought the same thing at times when my green pond turns brown for no seemingly good reason. Then I read that a green bloom is likely algae and a brownish water afterwords is likely an animal bloom, zooplankton, that is feeding on the algae. Which said article was a good thing because the larval fish eat the animals. Wish I could remember the names but will try to look the article up. But at any rate, if the article was correct, maybe the brown following the green was not a bad thing after all, but natural food production for the fish population.

Last edited by snrub; 01/20/16 08:28 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine