Originally Posted By: TGW1
basslover,"when is water to clear" it depends lol. I am sure you are aware of me being 1+ year pond guy. No guru here. So "it depends" on ones goals with or for his pond. But it has been suggested to me by a pond master and others to keep water visibility in the 18 to 22" range by using fertilizer (A fertilized pond). For my goals, I try to keep the visibility @ 18". On one or two occasions visibility has dropped to 12" due to blooms and also after doing some work around the pond this past Nov., I have had some cloudy water with 12" visibility, due to combination of green water mixed with some runoff from rain. Once when the weather dropped to a snow period I had 36" or more of visibility. So it depends on ones goals I think.

Tracy

Tracy -

I've read a lot about desired visibility 18-24" range. I can see where that could help forage and predator fish - relax and prey. As well as the photo plankton and organisms. I know that the clarity that our pond is makes fishing more challenging.

But aside from fishing, the very clear water is wonderful. Seeing the fish in their natural habitat, watching them and shooting underwater video and stills - all of the very clear water is perfect for these activities! Snorkeling and seeing a 5 lb LMB in 5 feet of water beside or beneath you is cool. LOL