Originally Posted By: airborne3118
2 questions.

Does anyone near me sell rainbow trout fingerlings?

If I was to hatch some myself, would anyone be interested in buying some?

No suppliers that I know of in Indiana that supply fingerlings, but you could contact Mike Searcy in Cortland that produces trout for consumption only, and see what he can tell you. He purchases eggs and hatches them in a closed system. Probably has the eggs shipped from Trout Lodge in Washington state.

http://www.indianaaquaculture.com/IAAI-Board-Member-Bios/mike-searcy-bio

That said, selling live trout for stocking in Indiana is difficult and expensive. They have to be disease tested, and not only do you have to sacrifice 60 trout per lot you have to fork out about $600.00 per lot, which includes the cost of a vet taking and preparing the samples, and the lab testing. There was a grant once to cover the cost of sampling, and Dr. Jennifer Strasser of BOAH would pick up the live fish free of charge, but that grant money has dried up.

Randy Lang of the INDNR and Dr. Jennifer Strasser of BOAH can answer all you questions.

I considered what you're asking about once for a trout club with eggs from the trophy trout I raise, but they would have required me to slaughter 60 of my biggest trout along with 60 of the smaller trout. That's not only a loss of income from the trout I sell to taxidermists up to $100.00 each, but a $1200.00 health testing expense! And I only had a maximum of about 100 in my flow through pond! NWIH!

You could forego the slaughter of broodfish and more than one lot by not keeping broodfish, and by selling each lot annually. It would still be $600.00 annual health testing expense. A loophole could be keeping the broodfish at a different address/ facility/ water source.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/18/16 09:42 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.