That is shallow, half the depth of the trap or a bit less and I can tell by where the trap caught them, that they weren't moving that fast either. When they are moving fast, I've caught them with their head all the way thru the trap and the trap snapped around their mid section. One side near their front legs, 2nd side just in front of their hind legs.

I've also made a makeshift fence of dead sticks to help guide them to go through a certain area and then placed the trap there after they get comfortable going through the narrower area.

One way to ensure that they are in the trap when they move slow is to spread out the trigger wires to the side, a wide upside down "V" then take a pair of pliers and bend the last 1" of the trigger wire so it's pointed straight down keeping that maybe 1" or so away from the vertical sides of the trap. It allows them to get further through the trap before tripping.

The trap can also be placed so the trigger dog is on the bottom, not the top and the "V" that is made by the trigger wires looks like that.

They can use their whiskers to feel for obstructions in front of them too, so it's critical to get their head in the trap.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).