Thanks Shorty, I am thinking I may wait a few more seasons before or if I stock some crappie. But to achieve my goal of growing XL lmb, I think it may be necessary to think outside the Box, so to speak. By stocking the Overtons Fishery CBLMB, I am sure the genetics are there to grow lmb that exceed the 12 lb mark and maybe reach those 15 and 17lb range in a relatively short period of time. But in order to do so, high forage rates are necessary, and that may reduce catch rates on artificial baits. But what if a pond is full of heavier XL lmb, would that not improve the catch rates? Assuming they are not hook shy. A 3,5 acre pond might be easier to manage over a 5 acre pond. One might be able to increase the carrying capability of the pond for XL lmb? A pond that has aeration, and good water quality can carry more total weight, if I understand it. I am not trying to build an ego here, I just want a pond full of XL LMB, with some large sized forage to keep them growing. Anthropic mentioned Rainbows along with GSD. And I think GSD are in most trophy lmb ponds. But GSD make a terrible meal for the pond owner, and so I was thinking crappie might fill that nitch. They are great eating for pond owners and I was thinking the shape and size might make great eating for XL CBLMB. Bill D. invited Pat to come in, his pond is fairly new (I think) but the last report I saw, he was having trouble catching crappie and had lmb most everywhere. Maybe he will post up his experience. His pond is slightly larger than mine by 1+ acre or so.
Question here, why does there have to be fewer XL lmb in a pond? If pond is full of forage, why are there reduced numbers of XL LMB?

Tracy

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 01/03/16 10:25 AM. Reason: question added

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy