Lets talk crappie as a forage fish for lmb. There is a lot of information here about not having crappie in a pond that is smaller than 20 acres. So, I have not stocked any crappie (crappy) in my 3.5 acre pond. But my goal is to grow extra large lmb. In my reading here, along with many discussions I have enjoyed here and with others, I still look for answers on how to get there. In what I have learned, the crappie will compete for the minnows that will feed my lmb and that results in slower growth rates of the lmb. But, when growing extra large lmb(if possible to do so), the lmb with the proper genetics will grow pretty fast to 10 lbs, feeding on FHM's amd 3 to 8" BG along with TFS, Tilapia and crawfish. But what about 15lb lmb or 18lb lmb or larger lmb? I would think most of this forage would be to small for the xl lmb and would not put weight on the lmb. So would crappie fill this nitch? What about HYB Crappie? What about male or female crappie only, added to the pond ? A 12" crappie would feed a 30" or larger lmb. I also think the crappie is less likely to choke or hang up in the throat of these larger lmb. I have seen a 4 lb lmb die with a BG hung up in their throat. As many of you know, I have stocked the CBLMB purchased from Overtons Fishery, I think these fish have the ability to grow to XL LMB. So what say you? One more thing I have seen is when using Tilapia for forage, they are introduced in April or May here and are gone in late Nov., leaving 4 to 5 months of reduced forage in the pond. The crappie would be there 12 months out of the year. Am I just hard headed here ? smile
Thanks

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy