John M, apart from swimming in our pond so keeping it a little clearer on the shoreline, our goals and passions are similar.

We dug our pond initially for attracting wildlife and for beauty, but the water quality turned out so nice that it became a swimming hole. If only I could keep the water level more consistent I could cultivate more transition plants. We are going to polymer the pond with TJs help soon, and hopefully resolve that problem.

A side hill leading to the pond is too wet to mow, so I am forced to hand weed it. So when I walk it, I pull out all of the baby willows I can find. Even the little ones have root systems from hell. Most are black willows, so not very attractive. Some are pussy willows, which I like since they are a shrub, but not taking chances with miss identification.

I may intentionally put in a weeping willow near the inlet creek to help stabilize the soil with roots, but for some reason the deer simply love to rub willow and wreck them. Protection or no. I don't like the idea of leaves in the pond from them either.

You have far more cover and habitat to attract wildlife, so I am a little jealous. We can barely attract geese (which is a good thing mostly). Our turtles don't stick around long either, but the frogs do, which is great.

Anyhow, I enjoy your posts and pictures. I have seen people who call themselves a photographer take pictures that are not as good as yours.