Numerous members here and others have documented the good (measureable) fish growth can occur in water temperatures several degrees upto 10F degrees above and below those commonly listed as optimal growth temperature range. Ewest might be able to locate some literature that documents growth for one or several species above & below optimal observed growth temps? Bluegill will start actively feeding at 41F (thus can't one assume noticeable growth occurs at 55F temperature? Bluegill in Ontario were reported to feed consistently at 46F-50F. I will do a little searching on this topic in my literature.

Bluegill are reported to have optimum growth at 86F with still very good growth at 77F to 82F. Lowest conversion efficiency was at 94F when fish were tested at 77-94F. Complete digestion of food in stomachs occurred in 18hrs at 64F. Bluegills were found to feed under the ice at 0.8% of the body mass. Growth at these 39F was not reported.

As best as I can determine from my readings, most of the annual growth for northern BG occurs starting and ending at mid 60F. Interestingly many recommendations for beginning feeding pellet to BG is 60F. Interestingly one report mentioned that juvenile BG in a Southern MI pond grew through the winter adding 20% in length and 50% in mass.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/26/15 09:31 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management