Oh heck, I might as well add my 2 cents, and after being on this forum for 3 1/2 years and hearing things I didn't want to hear (reason), you may not like some of this either, Fatih. Sorry frown .

But we've all been in the same boat (pun intended), having our heart set on buying something and having others telling us things we really need to hear, but don't want to.

For starters, gas mileage on the towing vehicle will be the least of your worries. If gas prices are high, wait until you fill the boat, over and over again. Even if they're not and you have a boat unlike any others around, you'll have "friends" wanting to go fishing and boating, but not pitching in. And How much will it cost to fill the boat and truck? Is this a cost each time you take it out?

You've already read about the vehicle issues with brakes, transmission, excessive wear and tear etc. And if it goes down, or doesn't do the job? Then what?

How close is the nearest boat repair shop and what do they charge per hour?

Other than the motor a boat only has to float, so what could go wrong? Electrical and electronics should all be checked closely! Does the live-well work properly? The bilge pump? Is the floor soft in ANY areas of the boat? And most importantly is checking the transom! This is where the motor is attached to the back of the boat. Raise and lower the motor (assuming it has power tilt/trim) and see if the transom is weak. With the motor up, lightly bounce the motor up and down looking for weakness in the transom. And if it's weak at all, run away! Replacing a boat floor is very expensive, but replacing a transom could break the bank. It's one of the most overlooked weaknesses of a used boat with an outboard motor.

Then there's the motor which also needs to be checked out thoroughly. How has it been used and maintained? Again, engine/boat repair can be very expensive! And winterizing a motor is fairly simple but must be done! And how many batteries does the boat have? Are they good? If not, here they're close to or more than $100 each, and usually only last 2-3 seasons. And will you be able to keep them on an automatic charger when stored? Or will you have to charge them before each outing?

This is why some people refer to their boat as a money-pit!

Storage. Will the boat be stored inside or out? If outside, consider wear and tear from the weather. Or the cost and upkeep of a boat cover.

Boat & trailer taxes, licenses and possibly inspections?

Cost of live bait each time you go fishing?

Also be sure and check the wheel bearings on the trailer. If they go out, it will be when you're in the middle of nowhere and likely having to leave your boat stranded until you find parts and tools to replace them on the highway.

And before I go on to the positives of owning a boat, is there the slightest possibility a boat could cause problems at home? It wouldn't be the first time it became grounds for a few unpleasant arguments with the wife & family.

On the good side, for me I could never go without one. But I'm fortunate(?) to be single and get a lot of use out of it, in the pond and out. For fishing yes, but for me it's more about nature and the surroundings. Of course I want to catch fish, that's the challenge, but I could also just sit in the middle of a lake and drift for hours. For me there's just something about being on the water that puts me at peace. Maybe you noticed that when we were on our trip (when I wasn't giving you a hard time smile )

It will surely offer you, and hopefully Kubra and Tuna a lot of pleasure and fun but there will also be a few headaches along the way. I think the others here will likely agree. Actually, we could probably start a full thread of boating headaches!

Fatih, it probably sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of getting a boat but I certainly am not! And just as the folks here on the forum try to help others not make mistakes they and others have made, I (and others) are just trying to do the same for you. And I know you've thought of most of these things already, but if not maybe something I've mentioned may help.

So with that being said, I as well as others are excited for you, we're anxious to see pictures of your new boat, the stories to go along with it, and especially pictures of the fish you will catch!

Here's a little fishing and boating fun to watch!
https://youtu.be/UeEIXsz4o5g

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES