I haven't been around for a while but I'm still managing my pond. Two summers ago I decided I would seriously try some bacteria in my 1 acre pond. The pond was 11 years old and surrounded by trees. So the muck on the bottom was getting deeper. I decided to conduct the best experiment I could easily do to measure weather the muck was disappearing. I put a rod down in the pond with a marker to measure the muck level. I use Muck Away pellets and follow the manufacturer's dosing recommendation. They claim it will digest 5 inches of muck per season and that's about what I have measured each season over the past two years. During this test I have not changed any other variables. I have always had aeration in the pond and I am running this the same as always. The only change has been the addition of the pellets. I also noticed another benefit. My pond has two sections. In one section I have always turned the aeration off in the winter because the family likes to skate on this part of the pond. Her in MN my pond is iced over from mid November to Mid April. I restart that aerator in mid March each year. Each spring when I restart the aeration in that part of the pond I do it very carefully because it stirs up a lot of hydrogen sulfide when I start it up. Last spring (the first spring after the start of my bacteria test), I noticed that I had no rotten egg smell at all coming up with my aeration when it was first started. I think this may be the added bacteria doing its job. I will see if this holds true again this coming spring when I start it up again. So far I'm happy, I've lost 10 inches of muck in two years and much less danger in the spring when starting up the aeration. I'm sold.
_________________________
Gotta get back to fishin!