Looks like a pretty interesting book. I have Krohls book but believe it to be dated with conclusions that can only be drawn from huge South Texas ranches.

The wildcard in quality deer management can be size of property. I can do my best on my 133 acre place but have no control on the places around me. Not a lot of my neighbors hunt, some are absentee land owners, and I have no idea what happens nest door or elsewhere. Some of the neighbors have "ranchettes" and some thousands of acres. Since there are darn few cows left in Texas(again 5 years of drought) the deer ought to be thriving but driving local back roads hasn't shown me a the numbers that I used to see. And then, due to mucho rain we have had 2 years of massive acorn crops and wild winter rye. The deer just don't have to travel anywhere to feed. But, they will enter winter in better shape. I like that idea but hunting and observing wildlife can be pretty boring.

That drought also took a toll on other wildlife. We used to be loaded with possums, armadillos, coons, bobcats etc. Not so now to the same extent and even hearing coyotes is a treat. I am declaring war on neighbors dogs.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/07/15 06:50 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP