RAH, in my reading of biologist papers, QDMA and such, I have seen where some opinions in management numbers are changing. And from personal experience I might see where or how opinions vary. You write of reducing the doe herd from 20 to 5 and attempting a doe/buck ratio of 2 to 1. so with that in mind, I have seen where the doe numbers were brought down and in doing so the buck numbers came down also. One thing that comes to mind is where a property has reduced to 1 to 1 or so and when having low doe numbers they did not see the rut bucks they had seen in the past years. If there are 5 does and they are bred, the rut bucks may not venture on to that property. where if the doe numbers are higher the rutting (traveling bucks) are more. That increases the possibility of more bucks being taken. I know of deer leases in Texas where they reduced the does and that reduced the number of bucks. Making the deer lease no longer attractable for releasing. As a land owner in Texas and having been a manager of hunting lands as large as 3,700 acres in Texas I can see many changes in todays thinking. Much like, a few years ago you might have been told to take all spikes, where today, it is recommended not to take spikes and in fact may be your Trophy Buck in 3 or 4 years. Me, I am reading and attending seminars and watching. I might compare it to a bass pond where you can catch numbers of fish or maybe have an opportunity to see one larger fish. And like you Enjoying.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 12/06/15 11:23 AM. Reason: add on

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy