We always default to bluegill as the backbone of the food chain for raising trophy bass. Therefore, it must be clearly the best option. However, is there a second best option that is close, or is second best miles behind?

In Raising Trophy Bass, Bob Lusk says, "These two factors, size and productivity give them [BG] the staying power to establish the backbone of the food chain for bass." First, it seems to me that yellow perch are just as fecund as bluegill. Secondly, their "size" may be even better for bass.

As regards the first point concerning numbers of offspring - we use removing egg ribbons as a management tool for yellow perch to keep down the number of fry. I have read numerous stories on PB of ponds being stunted with yellow perch. I have not seen the equivalent stories for BG.

Do YP have more fry, in their single spawn, that the BG do in their multiple spawns? If so, are the YP inferior forage stock because fewer fry live long enough to grow to the preferred size for large bass?

If the YP have fewer fry, it still seems that they might serve the LMB better? A single spawn means more fish competing that are almost the same size. This should be a benefit for a forage fish, since then only the jumpers can act as cannibals. I assume that the multiple spawns of BG allow the older BG to consume many of their younger cousins.

As regards the second point concerning forage "size" - it seems to me that the fusiform shape of YP would make them a superior forage species. A LMB can only eat a BG that is 1/4 to 1/3 of its size. (From my PB reading - correct if this is wrong.) Surely it can eat a YP that is over 1/2 of its size. This gets more biomass into the LMB for less effort, which is the desired goal as shown by our numerous Food Chain threads.

I understand that this is a very complicated topic because it depends on the balance of so many variables. I am sure I am failing to grasp several simple truths. However, if someone does make some enlightening comments regarding this matter, then I will try to take these answers and continue the thread by asking more specific, directed questions.

Thanks, Rod